Robin’s Nest: Does Wisbech really need more than 70 licensed premises?
DOES Wisbech really need another drinking establishment?
Whilst I am all for fair trade and allowing a business to prosper, I do feel that when we see a strong link between a group of retail companies and crime then it is my responsibility to intervene.
The constabulary are putting up objections to a series of new applications for licence premises in the Wisbech Town area.
It is our opinion that the number of outlets supplying booze has got to saturation point and it is starting to have a drain on our resources.
It may amaze you to know that there are 70 licensed premises within the Wisbech Town Centre wards.
You may also want to watch:
Those who know me well will tell you that I stop at five pints due to the fact that after that I start to get the giggles.
This would mean that if I have a pint in every premise it would take me two weeks to go through them all – now that is a long Christmas party.
- 1 Lucky Cambridgeshire neighbours win People's Postcode Lottery
- 2 Drug dealer racially abused police officer
- 3 Person cut out of car after two-vehicle crash
- 4 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 5 Piled wall will resolve major King's Dyke crossing obstacle
- 6 Photographer, Eleanor, wins highly regarded award
- 7 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 8 Three charged after £2m Hotpoint arson attack
- 9 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 10 £330,000 fraudster burning evidence as police raid his home
Of course most of these are run really professionally and would refuse me when I asked for that sixth pint.
However, I am afraid that there are a few that think of the money rather than their moral responsibility.
These we are taking to hearings as we can prove that there is a link between their serving of alcohol and the concentration of alcohol-related crime.
However, we are also trying to stop new ones opening as we feel they will just add to the problem.
Anyone can object to licensing applications, so if you are fed up with seeing people drinking cans in the town and throwing them on the floor or if you are fed up seeing people urinating in the alleyways then use your freedom of speech and say so.
The constabulary could do with your support.