Roller rink celebrates its first birthday
- Credit: Archant
Staff and customers at Skaters roller rink in Walpole Highway celebrated a year since the venue reopened with a combined Valentine’s and first birthday party.
The venue was taken over by businessman Michael McInerney in February 2014 and attracts hundreds of skaters of all ages.
Mr McInerney said: “I am passionate about skating but you can’t run a business on passion – we have got a great team here. People have been thanking us for keeping the rink open but it has been a pleasure. So many people have enjoyed it and we always get great reports from our customers.
“Skaters is going from strength to strength and I would like to thank the staff and our loyal customer base for supporting us.”
Manager Gary Evison said: “It has been a fantastic year for us and an honour to be a part of it. To think that just over a year ago the rink was closed and lifeless.
You may also want to watch:
“Our main goal was always to make skating popular again and here we are one year on and Skaters and skating seem to be back on the map.”
Skaters is home to Wisbech Speed Skating club and Wisbech Roller Hockey club and is also one of the first venues in the area to offer Loopyballs inflatable football.
- 1 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 2 Drug dealer racially abused police officer
- 3 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 4 Person cut out of car after two-vehicle crash
- 5 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
- 6 Sat nav 'takes one for the team' in bridge crash
- 7 Tonight's 24 Hours in Police Custody follows brutal Cambridgeshire murder
- 8 Photographer, Eleanor, wins highly regarded award
- 9 Piled wall will resolve major King's Dyke crossing obstacle
- 10 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
Skating lessons are available for skaters of all abilities and there are skating sessions every Wednesday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday.
Groovy tots and baby disco is on every Friday morning from 9.30am to 11am and an after school skate for primary school aged children will be launched on Tuesday March 3 from 3.45pm to 5.45pm.
For more information contact Skaters on 01945 882048.