Roman burial ground will be only thing to stop devastation of once peaceful backwater
Martyn Lancaster was correct in his summing up of the atrocious decision of Fenland District Council to allow the building of 30 houses on good quality arable farmland at the end of Berryfield, March (Postbag, July 10).
Being at that meeting, it was a foregone conclusion that whatever the planners said the committee followed.
We residents were allowed our allotted five minutes to ask the council to reconsider, but the silence from all but Councillor Florence Newell was deafening.
A voice in the wilderness, Cllr Newell was ignored like the residents and the proposals were allowed to go ahead.
The parking at the beginning of the estate is an example of the problems for entry and exit, and emergency vehicles getting to residents are of a real concern.
You may also want to watch:
Flooding both on the estate and the proposed plots shows the lack of foresight about how the drains are to cope with the further 30 houses.
The fact that the town could be planned properly for a large amount of houses on estates to the east and south of the town with proper facilities and good access into the estates shows how poorly March is thought of by the council.
- 1 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 2 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 3 Work to improve A47 between March and Peterborough begins
- 4 Butcher Ron to hang up his hat after 64 years
- 5 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 6 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 7 Paramedics warn of 'tents in car parks' amid mental health crisis
- 8 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 9 Granddaughter launches bid to help others thanks to football legend
- 10 Parents 'can never forgive' actions for Maddie's murder
As the archaeological dig is now in full swing, anything but a Roman burial ground will not stop this destruction and devastation of a once peaceful backwater.
MRS B EVERETT