Rose will celebrate her 104th birthday on the day her daughter, 71, is to marry
FOR 34 years Rose Martin worked for the Cambs Times but on Monday she’ll make the news by celebrating her 104th birthday on the day her daughter gets married.
Diana Turton, 71, will tie the knot with Dennis Coleman, 67, at Ely Register Office and then both will head to a blessing at the nursing home where Rose lives.
“It’s very important to me that mum’s there,” said Ms Turton, who has travelled from her home on the Maltese island of Gozo.
“She’s quite an inspirational woman. She still quotes Tennyson - her favourite poet - so her memory is very good!
“I’m sure I will be tired by the end of the day because that’s a lot of celebrating!”
You may also want to watch:
Mrs Martin spent 34 years working as a copy-holder for The Cambs Times and was editor of the March High School Old Girls’ Magazine for 15 years. She was also a long-serving secretary for the March Women’s Section of the British Legion.
The blessing will take place at Ness Court sheltered housing in Burwell where Mrs Martin, who lived most of her life in March, now lives.
- 1 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 2 Woman 'cannot afford to lose' over £3,000 through builder
- 3 Tributes to retired CEO who 'worked tirelessly' for town
- 4 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
- 5 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 6 Daughters remember artist father who would ‘always be there’
- 7 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 8 Speeding car smashes into two vehicles before driving off
- 9 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 10 Care home ‘requires improvement’ in five key areas
Ms Turton said: “Mum’s still got a lot of friends in March. She came out to Malta just before her 100th birthday - 99 years old and still flying high!
“It’s certainly going to be different. We were going to get married next year and then we thought it would be so nice to involve mum.
“I was quite happy to have a quiet wedding in Malta but when my husband suggested it I agreed it would be amazing.
“I’m looking forward to it. It should be a very special day.”