Royal British Legion concert at GER Club in March raises £1,000 for Poppy Appeal
- Credit: Archant
The March Branch of the Royal British Legion raised more than £1,000 by hosting a band concert in aid of the Poppy Appeal.
The concert, which was held at the GER Club on Saturday night, saw The Newmarket Town Band perform a varied selection of music in the first half and “Last Night of the Proms” in the second half.
Major Spence, one of the organisers, said: “It went very well, we had just over 100 people turn up and I think everyone enjoyed it. “It was a really good evening. A lot of people came and sat on tables of 10 and brought their own picnics. There was a real party atmosphere.
“The GER gave us the hall for nothing – that was their contribution. They didn’t take a penny off of us.
“We’d like to say thank you to the 30 or so different shops and organisations that supported us.
You may also want to watch:
“It all shows a really great support for the Royal British Legion. Now this one’s been so successful, we’re looking to do it annually.”
- 1 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 2 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 3 Sat nav 'takes one for the team' in bridge crash
- 4 Tonight's 24 Hours in Police Custody follows brutal Cambridgeshire murder
- 5 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
- 6 Squash club marks 40 years of competitions
- 7 Road blocked due to crash involving a tractor on A14 near Godmanchester
- 8 Of all the places in all the city to park an uninsured 4x4
- 9 22 arrests, drugs, cash and weapons seized in county lines crackdown
- 10 Keep your eyes peeled for David’s dinosaur this weekend