RSPCA urge pet owners to take care after March cat dies from antifreeze poisoning
- Credit: Archant
The RSPCA is asking pet owners to be cautious after a cat died from antifreeze poisoning last week.
The female tabby cat from the Station Road area in March was first found by her owner to be unwell on March 5.
It was rushed to the vets but died a few days later.
RSPCA animal welfare officer Kathy Hornig said: “We would like to ask everyone in the area to keep an eye on their cats’ wellbeing.
“Unfortunately cats don’t need a lot of antifreeze in their system to feel suffer from kidney failure and even death.
You may also want to watch:
“At this stage we do not know if this is an accidental incident or deliberate but in the meantime we would ask for everyone in the area to check where they keep their anti-freeze and make sure it is secure and out of the way of cats.”
Signs of antifreeze poisoning can be seen anything from 30 minutes after a cat has ingested the chemical, though it can be two or three days before signs of kidney failure are seen.
- 1 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 2 Woman delighted to finally be a mum after infertility heartache
- 3 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 4 Woman 'cannot afford to lose' over £3,000 through builder
- 5 Tributes to retired CEO who 'worked tirelessly' for town
- 6 Wisbech to March light rail signalled in radical ‘levelling up’ bid by Mayor
- 7 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
- 8 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 9 Burglars led police to £170,000 cannabis factory
- 10 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
The symptoms include vomiting, seeming depressed or sleepy, appearing drunk and uncoordinated, seizures, difficulty breathing, increased thirst and increased urination.
If you suspect your cat has been poisoned you must take it to a vet immediately. If possible, you should take a sample of what the cat has eaten/drunk or the container.
Poisoning a cat deliberately is a criminal offence under the Animal Welfare Act 2006. The maximum penalty is up to six months imprisonment and/or a fine of up to £20,000.
If anyone has any information about suspected antifreeze poisonings they can contact the RSPCA in confidence on 0300 1234 999.