Runners can get on their marks across Fenland towns
- Credit: Archant
Several specially designated “run routes” have been put in place by Fenland District Council in a bid to encourage people to take more exercise.
They have been set up in Wisbech Park, West End Park in March and the Manor Field in Whittlesey. There are plans for a fourth one in Chatteris as soon as a suitable location can be found.
The run routes are one of the first initiatives to come out of Active Fenland, a three-year project made possible by a £250,000 grant awarded to the council by Sport England’s Community Sport Activation Fund.
The routes are clearly marked out with a series of short wooden posts and vary in length from one to three kilometres.
They were officially launched in Wisbech Park earlier this month by Councillor Michelle Tanfield, Fenland’s Cabinet member responsible for sport and leisure. She was joined by members of the Fenland Running Club.
You may also want to watch:
Roger Williams of the Fenland Running Club said: “The Wisbech Park route will be good for us in various different ways. The distance of 1km will be useful to our coaches when planning interval training.
“People new to running will find the route ideal when following the ‘Couch Potato to 5Km Plan’, which involves walking and running. It is also a convenient distance for parents wishing to introduce their children to running, especially as the course is flat and the paths are in good condition.”
- 1 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 2 Woman 'cannot afford to lose' over £3,000 through builder
- 3 Tributes to retired CEO who 'worked tirelessly' for town
- 4 Woman delighted to finally be a mum after infertility heartache
- 5 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
- 6 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 7 Speeding car smashes into two vehicles before driving off
- 8 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 9 Man found dead in March
- 10 Wisbech to March light rail signalled in radical ‘levelling up’ bid by Mayor