Running round the corner steps up to a Race for Life for a Wisbech geography teacher who is the county’s latest Queen’s Guide
- Credit: Archant
A geography teacher and former rainbow leader has completed the challenging syllabus of the Queen’s Guide Award in just two years.
Kate Taylor was presented with an award at a local celebration tea party in Wisbech by county commissioner for Girlguiding Cambridgeshire East, Jean Verney.
As part of the award, Kate organised an exploration of York, took up running and created a Water Challenge Badge.
Kate said: “I have enjoyed all of the Queen’s Guide. There was not one element that I preferred over another. I never believed that I would be able to complete a Race for Life, as the furthest I had previously run was round the corner.
“Joining a running club was a big step, but everyone was really supportive. Completing the Queen’s Guide Award has been a real challenge.”
You may also want to watch:
Proud mentor Rosa Blunt was delighted with Kate’s achievement. “Kate has tackled every challenge with determination and enthusiasm. She had to re-arrange her exploration to York five times, but she never gave up and enjoyed it all the more when she got there because of the difficulties she had faced,” she said.
Queen’s Guide Award advisers, Maureen Dye and Caroline Dean, met with Kate and Rosa before signing off the award. “We are so pleased that Cambridgeshire East has a new Queen’s Guide. Kate thoroughly deserves her success. She has achieved a huge amount in the two years that she has been working on the award and her Water Badge, in particular, impressed us in its detail and variety,” said Maureen.
- 1 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 2 Woman 'cannot afford to lose' over £3,000 through builder
- 3 Tributes to retired CEO who 'worked tirelessly' for town
- 4 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
- 5 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 6 Daughters remember artist father who would ‘always be there’
- 7 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 8 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 9 Care home ‘requires improvement’ in five key areas
- 10 Cyclist stabbed in broad daylight attack