Foiled! Bid by ram raiders who flee after reversing Saab into Cambridgeshire store and leaving it wedged there
- Credit: Archant
A silver Saab was abandoned after reversing at speed into a Cambridgeshire village shop in an unsuccessful ram raid.
The foiled bid to break into the Spar shop at Warboys – seven miles from Chatteris on the road to Huntingdon – happened just before midnight.
The raiders fled empty handed from the Mill Green shop but left behind the Saab.
A spokesman for Cambridgeshire police said: “We were called at 11.52pm on Sunday with reports of an attempted ram raid in Mill Green.
“A vehicle was driven at a branch of Spar, causing damage to the shop. A vehicle was left at the scene and the offenders left empty handed.
You may also want to watch:
“Officers have attended the scene and an investigation is ongoing. No arrests have been made.”
Residents in Warboys took to Facebook after hearing of the raid.
- 1 BMW driver 'intentionally rammed' Ford car on A142 before fleeing scene
- 2 Binmen revolt over alleged bullying, poor pay, low morale and staffing crisis
- 3 Lucky Cambridgeshire neighbours win People's Postcode Lottery
- 4 Football club ‘disappointed’ after vandals damage toilet facilities
- 5 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 6 Drug dealer racially abused police officer
- 7 Person cut out of car after two-vehicle crash
- 8 Ramsey woman to appear in court to face drug dealing charges
- 9 Three people arrested in Somersham after stash of Cannabis found in car
- 10 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
One shop neighbour posted: “I heard this happen. The car was screeching forwards then reversing.”
Some residents said that metal bollards placed outside the store prevented the would-be burglars gaining access. One said: “It shows that the security measures put in place did a brilliant job.”