Sainsbury’s staff in Ely celebrates 145 years
- Credit: Archant
Staff at Sainsbury’s in Ely celebrated the company’s 145th Birthday by arriving to work in Victorian fancy dress.
They celebrated by handing out leaflets about Sainsbury’s history and balloons to children in the foyer.
Many colleagues at the Lisle Lane store, which opened in 2012, have worked with the company for a number of years, including longest serving colleague Paul Dixon, who has clocked up 41 years with Sainsbury’s.
Vicky Beard, Deputy Manager, said: ““We’re delighted to have celebrated this milestone with our customers and it’s a great time for us to recognise the colleagues that have worked so hard over the years.”
The first store opened in 1869 in Holborn, London by John James Sainsbury.
You may also want to watch:
Since then the company has grown, with more than 1,200 supermarkets and convenience stores across the UK.
- 1 BMW driver 'intentionally rammed' Ford car on A142 before fleeing scene
- 2 Binmen revolt over alleged bullying, poor pay, low morale and staffing crisis
- 3 Lucky Cambridgeshire neighbours win People's Postcode Lottery
- 4 Drug dealer racially abused police officer
- 5 Person cut out of car after two-vehicle crash
- 6 Football club ‘disappointed’ after vandals damage toilet facilities
- 7 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 8 Ramsey woman to appear in court to face drug dealing charges
- 9 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 10 Piled wall will resolve major King's Dyke crossing obstacle