Satish Karia told he needs retrospective planning permission for new shop front he put in following Chatteris Post Office ram raid
- Credit: Archant
Shopkeeper Satish Karia is hoping Fenland planners agree to the new shop front he’s installed after ram raiders wrecked his Chatteris post office.
Mr Karia installed a new shop front following the raid in April but is now seeking retrospective planning consent from Fenland District Council.
He told planners: “Due to a ram raid the shop front has been replaced as an urgent requirement to secure the property and retail stock.
“Whilst replacing the shop front, the opportunity was taken to relocate the access door and widen it to allow disabled access and make the door automatic”.
He’s accompanied his application with photos of what the post office looked before the raid, photos of the raid itself, and what it looks like today.
You may also want to watch:
Following the raid townsfolk set up a GoFundMe page to help Mr Satish and his family recover from the extensive damage caused to his premises.
Police were called at around 4.10am on April 26 to the post office to find offenders had attempted to remove an ATM machine from the front of the building but were unsuccessful and fled the scene
- 1 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 2 Cyclist stabbed in broad daylight attack
- 3 Daughters remember artist father who would ‘always be there’
- 4 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 5 Care home ‘requires improvement’ in five key areas
- 6 Farm donates pumpkins and money to hospitals ‘close to our hearts’
- 7 Man found dead in March
- 8 Yellow weather warning issued for Cambridgeshire
- 9 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
- 10 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
Fortunately they left empty handed, however caused substantial damage to the front of the building.