Cambridgeshire to be hotter than Ibiza and Barcelona in three-day heat wave
- Credit: Met Office
Scorching temperatures are heading to Cambridgeshire and the Fens where it will be hotter than summer holiday destinations Ibiza and Barcelona.
Despite the upcoming heatwave, which began today (June 24) and will last until Friday (June 26), the Met Office has issued a yellow thunderstorm warning.
Temperatures are set to reach as high as 31C in parts of the region, including March, Wisbech and Ely, later on this afternoon at around 3pm.
The Met Office officially declared today the “warmest day of the year so far”, with climbing temperatures recording 31C at Heathrow Airport.
The heat is set to last across Thursday and Friday where it is expected to remain at around 30C from 1pm until 5pm before it starts to get cooler again.
Dan Suri, Met Office chief meteorologist, said: “Temperatures will continue to climb through the week with a hot spell developing across much of England and Wales.
“From Wednesday temperatures will widely reach into the high twenties Celsius and it’ll be hot across much of the UK, especially central and southern England where we could see highs of 30 to 34 Celsius.
- 1 Police 'increasingly concerned' for man missing since early hours yesterday
- 2 'Giving a child the chance to be a child lifts my heart’ says foster carer
- 3 Obsessive stalker jailed for posting explicit photographs of his former partner
- 4 Product sold at Tesco recalled due to risk of disease-causing bacteria
- 5 Recap: Wire damage disrupts Hitchin and Peterborough trains
- 6 Man, 28, dies after truck and lorries crash on A47
- 7 Three rail and bus strikes in London and the East this week
- 8 Two combine harvesters catch fire in under 12 hours
- 9 Unauthorised encampments across Cambs a 'tricky issue' says Police and Crime Commissioner
- 10 Discount store expanding making it ‘bigger and better for customers’
“This hot weather is expected to last until at least Friday and so heatwave conditions are likely to develop for some areas this week.”