Sea of Santas to fill Fen town to raise money for Robert Foot Leukaemia Fund
A SEA of Santas will provide presents for cancer and leukaemia sufferers by taking part in a fun run to raise money for a Fenland charity.
Fundraisers will don Father Christmas costumes to take part in the family event in Downham Market on Sunday to help raise funds for the Robert Foot Leukaemia Fund.
The charity, which was set up by Michael and Wendy Foot following the death of their son, aged 33, in November 2002, aims to provide ‘patient comforts’ for cancer and leukaemia sufferers.
Mr Foot, of Walpole St Peter, said: “Robert would have laughed at the idea of Santas running through a town centre - he would have loved taking part in it.
“The idea came from a supporter of the fund, Peter Duhig, and we agreed it would be a fun way to raise more money. It will create quite a sight.”
The fund has already raised �125,000 to keep cancer and leukaemia suffers entertained at the three hospitals where Robert was treated.
Wii consoles, Sky TV, portable DVD players and board games are just some of treats patients now get at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital in King’s Lynn, Addenbrooke’s Hospital in Cambridge and St Thomas’ Hospital in London.
- 1 Mini-convoy marks funeral of 'kind-hearted' lorry driver
- 2 Car travelled wrong way down A1 before triple fatal crash, say police
- 3 WATCH: Emotional tribute to honour and remember crash victim
- 4 He strangled Rikki, stripped him and left his body flat on his back, Old Bailey told
- 5 Plan B measures to be scrapped across England
- 6 5 suspects identified from New Year's Eve attack
- 7 Suspected poachers caught in farmyard raid as cops crackdown continues
- 8 ‘It’s been a very special day’ - Mary marks 100th birthday
- 9 Whittlesey ready for battle in bid to maintain promotion push
- 10 'Fantastic, loving, cheeky' 19-year-old killed in motorbike crash
Mr Foot said: “Robert did an awful lot of good in his life and we just want to keep his memory living on by helping others.
“If we can continue to make sufferer’s lives easier then it makes it all worthwhile.”
The one-mile run, which starts at the town hall at 2.15pm, coincides with Downham’s Christmas lights switch on.
Entry fees for adults cost �8 (including santa suit and medal) and �5 for under-13s (flashing antlers and medal).
Contact 01366 388188 or 01945 780468 for entry forms, which are also available from 1.30pm on the day.