Second bid for child's centre fails

PUBLISHED: 12:30 23 June 2006 | UPDATED: 21:57 28 May 2010

A WOMAN S dreams were in tatters again on Wednesday after Fenland District Council s planning committee refused her permission to open a children s day centre in March. Deborah Hutler s application for a day centre in The Causeway for 20 children was reje

A WOMAN'S dreams were in tatters again on Wednesday after Fenland District Council's planning committee refused her permission to open a children's day centre in March.

Deborah Hutler's application for a day centre in The Causeway for 20 children was rejected on the grounds that noise levels would be too high for neighbours to lead a normal life.

This is despite the fact that Mrs Hutler's scheme, which had been revised after a previous refusal three months ago, had been recommended by planning officers for approval.

Councillor Pam Potts, council chairman, told the committee: "You must not forget the residents that live in the vicinity. You are going to get children playing and youngsters make a lot of noise.

Councillors also brought up concerns for traffic after Councillor Fred Yeulett, who was supporting objectors at the meeting, raised the issue.

Cllr Yeulett said: "It is already an overstretched section of the highway.

"To build a day nursery in one of the busiest roads in March is calling for accidents.

"The traffic generated by the nursery by users will have an adverse effect on people using The Causeway."

March Town Council had recommended the second application for approval but the committee heard there were nine letters of objection.

Planning officer Caroline Larkin had described the proposal as acceptable and "would not seriously undermine the policies of the development plan."

When Mrs Hustler's first scheme was refused, her intention was to open a children's centre on the site of a former old people's home, but with 42 children and eight staff.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Cambs Times

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists