Seriously ill puppies are dumped in the Fens
- Credit: Archant
Four sick puppies are being cared for in isolation after they were dumped when their owner realised they were ill with a fatal illness.
Two of the cross breed pups are seriously ill with Parvo virus which can kill dogs within 48 hours of contracting it.
The four male pups have been taken in by Ravenswood Pet Rescue who have launched a fund raising appeal to pay for an expected massive bill once the dogs have been nursed back to health.
Shelley Ridgeon, of Ravenswood, said: “Two of them are really poorly - you only have to take one look to see they are struggling.
“They lose weight quick, vomit and get diarrhoea, they look depressed and weak, it is a horrible virus.”
You may also want to watch:
The animals are on drips and are being looked after in the isolation unit at Best Friends Veterinary surgery in March.
Shelley said: “We think they are between six to 10 weeks old, they are only little.
- 1 Tributes to retired CEO who 'worked tirelessly' for town
- 2 Woman delighted to finally be a mum after infertility heartache
- 3 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
- 4 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 5 Speeding car smashes into two vehicles before driving off
- 6 Wisbech to March light rail signalled in radical ‘levelling up’ bid by Mayor
- 7 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 8 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 9 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 10 Woman 'cannot afford to lose' over £3,000 through builder
“It’s the dog equivalent to eboli, it’s highly contagious and very sad to see a dog with it as they look so awful.”
The mum of the puppies will be sick too but Ravenswood do not know where she is.
If you can help please visit the Ravenswood website to find links to donate.
Puppies under 16 weeks of age and dogs in crowded or unsanitary conditions are most at risk for developing Parvo virus.
Dogs typically show signs of anorexia, depression, and fever, progressing to vomiting and diarrhoea within 24–48 hours.
Dogs with PVE quickly become dehydrated and weak.
• To donate direct to the vets bill call Best Friends on 01354 653435 or visit the Ravenswood Paypal page