Sexual health and contraception clinic opened in Wisbech with specialist equipment and on-site laboratory
- Credit: Archant
A sexual health and contraception clinic was opened on Friday in Wisbech.
More than £300,000 has been invested into the clinic, at Parkside on the North Cambs Hospital site, which includes specialist equipment and an on-site laboratory.
Previously, people seeking tests and treatment for sexual health problems including HIV were forced to travel to King’s Lynn, which made access to care difficult especially for younger patients and others who rely on public transport.
Matthew Winn, chief executive of Cambridgeshire Community Services, which is responsible for the clinic, said it is operating on a part-time basis but the aim is to have it open full-time by next year.
He said: “The new service will be a major benefit for years to come.”
You may also want to watch:
The clinic was officially opened by MP Steve Barclay, who has campaigned for better health provision across the constituency.
He said: “Sexual health and contraception are not always the most talked about things within the health service but actually it is really, really important.
- 1 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 2 Woman 'cannot afford to lose' over £3,000 through builder
- 3 Tributes to retired CEO who 'worked tirelessly' for town
- 4 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
- 5 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 6 Daughters remember artist father who would ‘always be there’
- 7 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 8 Speeding car smashes into two vehicles before driving off
- 9 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 10 Inquest opens into death of labourer, 20, who drowned
“The new clinic will make life a lot easier for those using it, they can come in through the park without going through other parts of the hospital. This is a really positive day for Wisbech.”
Contraceptive clinics are run on Tuesdays from 3pm to 8pm with two nurses on duty and the sexual health clinic and contraception are available on Thursday evenings.
At present patients need to make an appointment by calling 0300 3003030, but the aim is to eventually have a walk-in service.