Shocking video shows moment car bursts into flames along A47
- Credit: Tiia Aliyah Welby
Shocking video footage shows the terrifying moment a car burst into flames along the busy A47, just metres away from passing traffic.
The blaze caused delays for motorists on the main Fenland road at Thorney Toll this morning (May 19) as police forced a road closure.
Mobile phone footage captured the scene before emergency services arrived, showing the Jaguar XF car fully engulfed in flames at the roadside.
A spokesperson for Cambridgeshire Police said: “We were called at 9.17am with reports a car was on fire on the A47 at Thorney Toll.
“The driver of the car, a Jaguar XF, managed to stop in a layby and get out of the vehicle. He was not injured.
“The road was closed while fire crews dealt with the incident, but a lane has now reopened.”
A spokesperson for Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue Service said: “A crew from Wisbech was called at 9.03am to reports of a car on fire on the A47 near Thorney Toll.
- 1 Second river crash in a week as driver escapes injury
- 2 A47 near Wisbech set to close for seven weekends due to roadworks
- 3 Father and son accused of man's murder set to stand trial this summer
- 4 Farmer wins appeal to convert derelict barn into a house
- 5 New cops truck catches out law-breaking drivers in successful week
- 6 Jail for suspected hare courser who forced cars off road during police pursuit
- 7 Council to spend a penny or two from £8.4m 'pot' on new loos
- 8 Man set to stand trial accused of teen daughter's murder
- 9 56-bed care home backers revise access proposals
- 10 Two suffer serious injuries after A10 crash
“Wearing breathing apparatus, firefighters used a hose reel to extinguish the fire, the cause of the fire was accidental.”