Shocking Highways England CCTV footage shows pizza delivery driver pushing his moped along the M1 motorway - before stopping and having a cigarette
- Credit: Archant
Highways England have used CCTV footage of the dramatic moment a pizza delivery had a lucky escape after wandering on to the M1 motorway with his moped in an attempt to warn drivers of the dangers of stopping in the central reservation of motorways.
The rider was spotted on CCTV by Highways England teams, and traffic officers were assisted by police in removing him.
The reckless rider appears on the footage pushing his bike in the middle of the motorway at night, seemingly oblivious to the dangers of pushing a bike down the middle of a live motorway as traffic swerves around him.
After a few cursory glances, he then proceeds to amble across the motorway while pushing his bike, while drivers slam on their brakes and have to quickly changes lanes to avoid him.
Having crossed the M1 unscathed, he continued to wander with his bike down the hard shoulder of the M1, stopping under a bridge and removing his helmet to have a cigarette.
You may also want to watch:
Highways England traffic officers were assisted by police in getting the biker off the M1, and he was eventually sent on his way without coming to any harm.
Caner Okanay, Highways England operations manager, said: “It really was incredible watching him just wander across a live motorway, seemingly oblivious to the fact he was crossing the M1 and not a quiet country lane.
- 1 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 2 Burglars led police to £170,000 cannabis factory
- 3 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 4 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 5 Bid to ban ex- mayor running pub “a joke” says cabinet member
- 6 Wisbech to March light rail signalled in ‘levelling up’ bid by Mayor
- 7 Our archives reveal the 'crackpot' idea to re-open disused rail lines
- 8 Jaw-dropping stunts and traditional circus elements combine in unmissable show
- 9 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 10 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
“People need to be aware of where they’re driving and be responsible for their safety – no one should be stopping in the central reservation of a motorway.
“Fortunately he walked away from this unscathed, but you’ll see from the footage that this could have been a very different story.”