Shoppers help raise money for Fenland women’s refuge
- Credit: Archant
A convenience store in Wisbech has helped a local women’s refuge thanks to donating money every time people shop.
When Violet, the McColls store manager in Waterlees, discussed the community fund available from the store with local Councillor Virginia Bucknor, the Fenland Women’s Refuge came to mind.
Cllr Bucknor said. “This will make a significant difference.
“The Women’s Refuge, working with Cambridgeshire charity, Emmaus, have generously agreed to help furnish a home for a donation of £60 plus delivery.
“So this sum will help start a new beginning for women temporarily living in the refuge and be put to excellent use.”For every Heritage brand product the community buys a penny is donated into the local charity fund and this year.
You may also want to watch:
The scheme has meant that the McColls store has been able to donate £400.
The charity Refuge said it is committed to a world where domestic violence is not tolerated and where women and children can live in safety. A spokesman said: “We aim to empower women and children to rebuild their lives, free from violence and fear. We provide a range of life-saving and life-changing services, and a voice for the voiceless.”
- 1 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 2 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 3 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 4 Work to improve A47 between March and Peterborough begins
- 5 Man jailed for historic sexual abuse 'convinced child victims it was normal behaviour'
- 6 Granddaughter launches bid to help others thanks to football legend
- 7 Butcher Ron to hang up his hat after 64 years
- 8 Paramedics warn of 'tents in car parks' amid mental health crisis
- 9 8 of the best shows coming to Cambridgeshire in November
- 10 Board says Covid-19 figures are ‘stable’ at City hospital
Contacts for anybody suffering domestic violence:
• Refuge - 020 7395 7771
• Women’s Aid - 0808 200 247
• Victims Hub - 0800 7816818
• Fenland Police - 101 or 999 in an emergency
• Cambsdasv website.
• Karma Nirvana website.
• Broken Rainbow - a national Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Trans (LGBT) Domestic Violence Helpline.