SilverCloud course helps people in Fenland suffering stress, depression or anxiety
- Credit: Archant
People who want to improve their mental health can take a new online programme called SilverCloud being offered by the Psychological Wellbeing Service.
It is available to anyone over the age of 17 who is registered with a GP in Cambridgeshire or Peterborough.
The online course can help people experiencing stress, depression or a wide range of anxiety disorders.
Michelle Espley, senior therapist at the Psychological Wellbeing Service and lead for SilverCloud, said: “Mental ill health can affect one in four people and this is another very effective way for people to get help and work towards recovery from their conditions.
“Although people can access appointments if they wish to see someone we realise there are still other people for whom those appointments are just not accessible or they don’t want to see someone face to face.
You may also want to watch:
“Signing up for SilverCloud means they can go online at a time and place most convenient for them.”
People can refer themselves directly using the form on the CPFT website or by calling 0300 300 0055.
- 1 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 2 Woman 'cannot afford to lose' over £3,000 through builder
- 3 Tributes to retired CEO who 'worked tirelessly' for town
- 4 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 5 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
- 6 Daughters remember artist father who would ‘always be there’
- 7 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 8 Care home ‘requires improvement’ in five key areas
- 9 Cyclist stabbed in broad daylight attack
- 10 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
Everyone who self-refers is spoken to by an advisor to ensure they get the right treatment for them.
Anyone suitable for SilverCloud will be given a secure password to the online system.
Michelle said: “We believe this service could make a significant difference to the lives of many people.”
SilverCloud is a cognitive behavioural therapy-based treatment (CBT) which can help people overcome problems by changing the way they think and behave.
It is recommended that people take eight weeks to complete each online course.
Once a week a therapist can review each patient’s answers and patients can leave comments for the therapist to email them back.
Of those who have completed a SilverCloud programme, seven out of 10 have reported a “significant improvement” in their wellbeing, while five out of 10 are declared “recovered” and require no further treatment.