Football fan Simon Dobbin dies five years after brutal attack left him brain-damaged

PUBLISHED: 15:53 21 October 2020 | UPDATED: 11:50 22 October 2020

Simon Dobbin's daughter Emily pictured with her dad, who received devastating injuries in the attack in Southend Picture: FAMILY PHOTO

Simon Dobbin's daughter Emily pictured with her dad, who received devastating injuries in the attack in Southend Picture: FAMILY PHOTO

Archant

Football fan Simon Dobbin, who was left fighting for his life after being brutally set upon at a football game, has died five years after the assault - just months after the last of his attackers was released.

Simon Dobbin, before he was injured, at a Cambridge United match Picture: FAMILY PHOTOSimon Dobbin, before he was injured, at a Cambridge United match Picture: FAMILY PHOTO

Mr Dobbin, from Mildenhall, was set upon by a group of hooligans after watching his team, Cambridge United, play away at Southend United on March 21, 2015.

MORE: Police confirm they will review Simon Dobbin attack case after his tragic death

He was left fighting for his life following a 90-second attack and suffered permanent brain damage.

Mr Dobbin’s wife, Nicole, confirmed his death on Facebook this afternoon and paid tribute to her husband.

“It’s with a broken heart that I write this post, but my poor gentle giant Simon passed away at home this morning,” said Mrs Dobbin.

Cambridge United, the club supported by Mr Dobbin, also paid tribute on Twitter.

“It is with a heavy heart that Cambridge United can confirm we have received the devastating news that Simon Dobbin sadly passed away at home this morning,” they said in a Tweet.

“Sweet dreams Simon. Forever a U.”



MORE: Wife of brain-damaged football fan left ‘frustrated’ by release of attackers

Mr Dobbin was left needing round the clock care and could only be fed through a tube.

Simon's Dobbin's attackers were jailed for violent disorder and conspiracy to commit violent disorder Picture: ESSEX POLICESimon's Dobbin's attackers were jailed for violent disorder and conspiracy to commit violent disorder Picture: ESSEX POLICE

A total of 12 men were jailed in July 2017 for the attack on Mr Dobbin but the last remaining prisoner was released on February 5 this year.

Since then, Mrs Dobbin has campaigned to have the law around violent offending changed.

Mrs Dobbin met with justice secretary Robert Buckland in February to discuss “Simon’s Law” - which would make violent offenders make payments to the NHS for the rest of their lives.

Nick Knowles and BBC’s DIY SOS team visited the Dobbin’s home in November 2017 to help make improvements.

Mr Dobbin's daughter Emily and wife Nicole Dobbin when DIY SOS visited in 2017 Picture: GREGG BROWNMr Dobbin's daughter Emily and wife Nicole Dobbin when DIY SOS visited in 2017 Picture: GREGG BROWN

The work included a bedroom, physio space, wet room and social space, with downstairs and outdoor access for Mr Dobbin in his wheelchair.

The episode aired in January 2019.

MORE: Wife of Simon Dobbin to meet with justice secretary to discuss change in law


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Cambs Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Cambs Times