SIMPLY THE BEST: Our reporters write themselves to sports journalism glory
REPORTERS Rob Setchell and Gavin Caney celebrate after BOTH were shortlisted for a top sports journalism award.
The Cambs Times/Wisbech Standard pair were two of three journalists who made the shortlist for the NCTJ Trainee Sports Journalist Award for Excellence.
Having fought off competition from young reporters across the country, the duo were forced to lock horns with each other.
And although Rob was eventually victorious, the contribution of both to the sports coverage of the Cambs Times/Wisbech Standard came in for special praise at the Society of Editors’ conference in London.
Lead judge Alan Geere, editorial director at Northcliffe Media South East and a director of the NCTJ, said: “It’s not that easy to turn in exclusives for the sports pages, with so much of the action played out for all to see.
You may also want to watch:
“But Rob has come up with cracking stories, well told with excellent use of quotes and a good, punchy reporting style.”
- 1 BMW driver 'intentionally rammed' Ford car on A142 before fleeing scene
- 2 Binmen revolt over alleged bullying, poor pay, low morale and staffing crisis
- 3 Football club ‘disappointed’ after vandals damage toilet facilities
- 4 Lucky Cambridgeshire neighbours win People's Postcode Lottery
- 5 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 6 Drug dealer racially abused police officer
- 7 Person cut out of car after two-vehicle crash
- 8 Ramsey woman to appear in court to face drug dealing charges
- 9 Three people arrested in Somersham after stash of Cannabis found in car
- 10 NFU president visits Wimblington on East Anglia tour