Sir Graham Bright will not seek re-election as Police and Crime Commissioner
- Credit: Archant
Sir Graham Bright has announced that he will not put himself forward as a candidate for next year’s elections.
He was elected to office in November 2012 as the first police and crime commissioner for Cambridgeshire.
In that time he has overseen many changes in the force as he and his team have worked closely with the constabulary to maintain effective policing in the face of significant budget reductions.
Speaking about his decision, Sir Graham said: “It has been an enormous honour and privilege for me to serve the people of Cambridgeshire.
“I will leave office in May 2016 with the constabulary in a strong position and with many long term programmes underway that will ensure a strong financial and operational footing in the future.
You may also want to watch:
“Between now and May 2016, I will continue to drive forward the changes underway to ensure that whoever succeeds me starts with a strong foundation.
“This is a very demanding role and one which I do not feel I commit myself to for another four years.
- 1 Vaccine roll-out begins, 12 hours a day, seven days a week
- 2 'Small number of Covid-19 deaths' at care home
- 3 Coronavirus test centre staff ‘receive abuse’ from angry motorists
- 4 Artist impressions of how Mepal will be transformed into a £6.5m crematorium
- 5 Council offers reserved parking for elderly heading for Covid jab
- 6 Minor injury unit closes to allow staff to respond to crisis in the community
- 7 Photographer captures the ‘sonic boom’ RAF Typhoon on camera
- 8 Tributes to 'loving, kind family man' and community stalwart
- 9 Slimmer's life-changing weight loss story
- 10 Man guilty of murdering partner's baby son
“While I will not be putting my feet up I am looking forward to spending more time with my wife and continuing to use my experience to provide advice and guidance to some of the other organisations I support,” he added.
Police and Crime Commissioner elections are due to be held on May 5 2016.
The Conservative party will announce their candidate in the near future.