Sisters to honour ‘inspirational, wonderful’ granddad by joining Alzheimer’s Society Memory Walk at Ferry Meadows Country Park
- Credit: Archant
Two Fenland sisters are set to walk for ‘a world without dementia’ in memory of their granddad later this month.
Jade and Saffron Rudd will take part in The Alzheimer’s Society Memory Walk at Ferry Meadows Country Park on September 17 in honour of their granddad Michael Cawston, who died in December 2014.
Jade, of Wisbech, said: “It’s 100 per cent for granddad.
“He was ill for a very long time; it was as if he wasn’t here, but he was here.”
“He was always singing. He was a wonderful man.”
You may also want to watch:
Michael ‘Fred’ Cawston lived in Clenchwarton with his wife Andrea, who died ten years ago.
Saffron, of Downham Market, said: “We’d be there every day, cleaning his house and helping him out.”
- 1 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 2 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 3 Sat nav 'takes one for the team' in bridge crash
- 4 Tonight's 24 Hours in Police Custody follows brutal Cambridgeshire murder
- 5 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
- 6 Squash club marks 40 years of competitions
- 7 Road blocked due to crash involving a tractor on A14 near Godmanchester
- 8 Of all the places in all the city to park an uninsured 4x4
- 9 22 arrests, drugs, cash and weapons seized in county lines crackdown
- 10 Keep your eyes peeled for David’s dinosaur this weekend
The pair, who will walk the longer distance of nine kilometres, said: “‘I think granddad would find it heart-warming that we’re doing this.
“He was just so happy spending time with us, watching Disney films and just being together.
“I think that’s one of the reasons why Saffron and I are so close. He was the most inspirational, wonderful man ever.”
There are more than 8,000 people in Cambridgeshire living with dementia and over 1,000 people are due to take part in the Peterborough Memory Walk.
To donate visit www.justgiving.com/fundraising/MW16jaderudd
To sign up for or volunteer at Peterborough: https://www.memorywalk.org.uk/find-a-walk/peterborough/