Skips brought in to clear ‘Downton Abbey’ £1million mansion drugs factory where 1,500 cannabis plants discovered
- Credit: Archant
Police revealed they have so far found 1,500 cannabis plants inside the ‘Downton Abbey’ Fenland mansion they raided yesterday.
A team of officers have spent most of today – and will continue tomorrow- clearing the nine bedrooms, six bathroom former vicarage of its drug producing equipment.
Outside of Wendreda House, March, skips have been brought in to clear away much of the equipment seized by Cambridgeshire police from the house.
One neighbour reported how he first reported a smell detected from his garden some weeks ago.
“I spoke to the council and they told me to keep an ‘odour’ log and to write down when I could smell it,” he said. “Initially I thought it was the crematorium (which is half a mile away) but I was assured it was not.”
You may also want to watch:
A 33 year old man from Whitstable in Kent and a 30 year old man from Twickenham in West London arrested at the house yesterday have been released on police bail.
Det Insp. David Murphy said that police will still be at the house for another day clearing out the drugs.
- 1 Lucky Cambridgeshire neighbours win People's Postcode Lottery
- 2 Drug dealer racially abused police officer
- 3 Person cut out of car after two-vehicle crash
- 4 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 5 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 6 Piled wall will resolve major King's Dyke crossing obstacle
- 7 Photographer, Eleanor, wins highly regarded award
- 8 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 9 Three charged after £2m Hotpoint arson attack
- 10 Sat nav 'takes one for the team' in bridge crash
“There is probably up 1,500 plants, which is huge amount,” he said.
Earlier he had described the finding so many plants inside the house as a surprise.
He said the house “looks like something you would see in Downton Abbey or the place people take on for Grand Designs, not where you expect to see a highly professional cannabis factory.
“It is on a main road and surrounded by other homes. It was a risky project.”