Smart traffic lights are needed before the A14 upgrade begins says Haddenham county councillor
- Credit: Archant
A call has been made for traffic lights in Haddenham in anticipation of extra vehicles expected in the area while the new A14 is built.
County councillor Bill Hunt has pushed for traffic lights in the top corner ahead of the expected extra load.
He said: “Reducing the volume and speed of traffic through the villages is an on-going battle but with determination the villages along the A1123 and A1421 including Stretham, Wilburton and Haddenham can be made better.
“If we get the traffic lights before construction starts we will be prepared and we will have a lasting legacy when the A14 and the Ely by-pass are up and running, this may be the first step on the ladder.”
The new £1.4 billion road should be completed by 2020 which will take pressure off the Wicken, Stretham, Wilburton, Haddenham, Earith and St Ives A1123.
You may also want to watch:
It will also ease pressure on the Haddenham to Witcham Toll A1421.
Cllr Hunt said local roads would be under pressure during the construction period and called for the county council to minimise the stress during the construction period and consider the lights as “mitigation measures”.
- 1 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 2 Woman delighted to finally be a mum after infertility heartache
- 3 Woman 'cannot afford to lose' over £3,000 through builder
- 4 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 5 Tributes to retired CEO who 'worked tirelessly' for town
- 6 Wisbech to March light rail signalled in radical ‘levelling up’ bid by Mayor
- 7 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
- 8 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 9 Burglars led police to £170,000 cannabis factory
- 10 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
During a meeting of the county’s highways and community infrastructure committee members agreed to request officers explore how such mitigation measures could be introduced - including a set of “smart” traffic lights in the centre of Haddenham where the A1123, the A1421 and the High Street all meet.