Smokers are urged to stub it out for Stoptober
- Credit: Archant
People in the Fens are being urged to quit smoking in the 28-day stop smoking challenge, Stoptober.
Staff from CAMQUIT are going out into the community to offer information, support, and advice.
Claire Mead, CAMQUIT coordinator, said: “If you are thinking about stopping smoking, the Stoptober challenge is the right one for you. “Thousands of people take part every year and you’re up to five times more likely to succeed in quitting if you get help.
“There are over 300 expert advisors across the county who will support and guide you with quitting.
“These experts based in our clinics and GP practices will also be able to support you with getting treatment medications on prescription which will increase your chances of success.
You may also want to watch:
“The team of advisors are here to help you stop for good and will give you simple steps towards your goal.”
The national ‘ONE YOU’ Stoptober campaign, developed by Public Health England, aims to encourage smokers to quitting for good.
- 1 Man found dead in March
- 2 Brother pays tribute to 'strongest character I've ever known'
- 3 Driver leaves girl 'very shaken' after ploughing into car
- 4 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 5 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 6 HMO or flats divide councils but what happens to rest of hotel?
- 7 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 8 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
- 9 Every little helps for surprised shopper thanks to Tesco worker
- 10 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
It is based on research that if you can stop smoking for 28-days, you are five times more likely to be able to stay quit for good.
CAMQUIT, Cambridgeshire County Council’s stop smoking service will be supporting the campaign locally by taking part in activities and providing information stands at public venues.
Activities include specialist advisors visiting sixth form colleges, pharmacies, flu clinics and GP practices.
The Stoptober website provides a wide range of advice and tips on how to achieve a stop smoking goal.
For more information register at www.camquit.nhs.uk or contact the CAMQUIT team on 0800 018 4304.