Soccer Saturday’s Paul Merson and Tony Cottee to star at Wisbech Town dinner
SOCCER Saturday pundits and ex-professional footballers Paul Merson and Tony Cottee will star at Wisbech Town’s sportsman’s dinner next month.
The Sky Sports duo will be joined by comedian Russ Williams in what is being billed as a ‘night of sporting anecdote and comedy to remember’ on November 24.
And football fans are already being urged to book now such is the demand to hear sensational tales from the pair about their careers.
Former Arsenal and England star Merson has become a huge success on the after dinner speaking circuit with his frank, hilarious and sad stories about his time in the game.
In a career spanning around 20 years the larger-than-life playmaker racked up more than 500 games and �11million worth of transfer fees before he retired in May 2006 after playing just one game for non-league Tamworth.
You may also want to watch:
However, it’s his much-publicised battle with drink and drugs during his career that still prove to make him so interesting to fans across country.
Journeyman striker Cottee, who gained seven England caps, is best known as a fans’ favourite at West Ham where he scored more than 100 goals in two separate spells.
- 1 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 2 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 3 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 4 Work to improve A47 between March and Peterborough begins
- 5 Man jailed for historic sexual abuse 'convinced child victims it was normal behaviour'
- 6 Granddaughter launches bid to help others thanks to football legend
- 7 Butcher Ron to hang up his hat after 64 years
- 8 Paramedics warn of 'tents in car parks' amid mental health crisis
- 9 8 of the best shows coming to Cambridgeshire in November
- 10 Board says Covid-19 figures are ‘stable’ at City hospital
Aside from the trio taking to the microphone, the night at the club’s Elgood’s Fenland Stadium on Lynn Road, will also include a three-course dinner, memorabilia auction, question-and-answer session and a signed shirt competition.
• To book a table for 10 people (which costs �595 + VAT) e-mail the club’s website and programme editor, Spenny Larham, at firstname.lastname@example.org