Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue set record straight about bogus information given by solar panel company
Firefighters have issued a statement addressing rumours that houses with solar panels that haven’t got a ‘kill switch’ may not be helped in the event of a fire.
Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue (CFRS) and Cambridgeshire and Peterborough Trading Standards found that at least one solar panel company has given out this bogus information.
One company said “without a ‘kill switch’ to remove their power supply, fire crews will not attempt to fight a fire at the property because of the risk of electrocution”.
A CFRS spokseman said: “We would like to reassure residents that this is completely incorrect and are urging residents to be vigilant of this bogus information and it’s potential to affect emergency response.
Emma Massey, fire protection officer, said: “We have recently been made aware of reports regarding solar panels from owners who were worried that they may prevent us responding to an emergency.
“Procedures are in place to respond to every type of incident in the safest possible way, and this includes responding to fires involving solar panels.”
“If you have been approached by an organisation that has made similar suggestions, please contact the Trading Standards through the Citizens Advice helpline on 03454 040506.”
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Cambs Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.