Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue set record straight about bogus information given by solar panel company
- Credit: Archant
Firefighters have issued a statement addressing rumours that houses with solar panels that haven’t got a ‘kill switch’ may not be helped in the event of a fire.
Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue (CFRS) and Cambridgeshire and Peterborough Trading Standards found that at least one solar panel company has given out this bogus information.
One company said “without a ‘kill switch’ to remove their power supply, fire crews will not attempt to fight a fire at the property because of the risk of electrocution”.
A CFRS spokseman said: “We would like to reassure residents that this is completely incorrect and are urging residents to be vigilant of this bogus information and it’s potential to affect emergency response.
Emma Massey, fire protection officer, said: “We have recently been made aware of reports regarding solar panels from owners who were worried that they may prevent us responding to an emergency.
You may also want to watch:
“Procedures are in place to respond to every type of incident in the safest possible way, and this includes responding to fires involving solar panels.”
“If you have been approached by an organisation that has made similar suggestions, please contact the Trading Standards through the Citizens Advice helpline on 03454 040506.”
- 1 Former Top Gear star Rory Reid spotted filming with Lamborghini
- 2 Chief executive takes 'personal oversight' of inquiry into deputy leader's farm tenancy
- 3 Rapist on bail performed magic tricks for police and security guard
- 4 Emergency services – including two air ambulances – rush to A10 crash
- 5 Homeless champion delighted as young couple finally have shelter
- 6 Jonathan Van Tam’s mum gets Covid-19 vaccination at Cambs clinic
- 7 Cops 'cash and carry' raid nets 108 cannabis plants and £100,000
- 8 Pedestrian dies crossing busy Cambridgeshire road
- 9 'Not a sprint, a marathon' cautions NHS staff in the Fens
- 10 Care home 'requires improvement' after unannounced visit