Special delivery: Fenland football team sends spare equipment to African orphanage
BIBS, boots and balls are heading to an orphanage in the Democratic Republic of Congo after a Fenland football team donated all their spare kit.
The gift is part of March-based Estover Park Youth FC’s project to support African charity the Menelik Partnership.
Team strips, training cones and a set of goals will also be shipped out to Kinshasa, the country’s capital city.
Estover Park Under-14s Girls team have also planned a series of fundraising drives including bag packs and community events.
Manager Rob Mitchell said: “This partnership is an excellent opportunity to show the young people in our football club that there is more than just playing the sport.
You may also want to watch:
“The club’s attitude to the charity work has been outstanding and many players have given up hours of their time to ensure the launch of this partnership is a success.”
It is hoped that the partnership, established through the voluntary work of Mr Mitchell and Pauline Gardner, will continue for many years.
- 1 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 2 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 3 Sat nav 'takes one for the team' in bridge crash
- 4 Tonight's 24 Hours in Police Custody follows brutal Cambridgeshire murder
- 5 Squash club marks 40 years of competitions
- 6 Road blocked due to crash involving a tractor on A14 near Godmanchester
- 7 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
- 8 Of all the places in all the city to park an uninsured 4x4
- 9 22 arrests, drugs, cash and weapons seized in county lines crackdown
- 10 Burglars led police to £170,000 cannabis factory
Players will send pictures and letters to the African orphanage and Internet conversations via webcam are also being planned.
Fran Plitsch, captain of the under-14s girls, said: “It’s great to think that in a few months children in the Congo will be playing in our club kits and have the opportunity to enjoy the game as much as we do.
“We hope we can see photos from the orphanage of the matches they play!”
For more information on the Menelik Partnership, visit: www.menelikpartnership.org