Special guests flock to centenary celebrations at March Roman Catholic Church
SPECIAL guests flocked to centenary celebrations at March Roman Catholic Church last weekend.
NE Cambs MP Steve Barclay, Deputy Lord Lieutenant of Cambridgeshire Freddie Grounds and Bernard Keane, March Town Mayor, were all present at the St John’s Road church.
A special mass was held on Friday before Parish Priest, Father Philip Sainter opened the exhibition which depicted the church’s history. The church remained open on Saturday with tea and biscuits being served to visitors before a special 6pm mass where parishioners enjoyed wine and had time to view the exhibition.
On Sunday, a special service of thanksgiving was held for all of those who help at the church, including alter servers, readers and flower arrangers before guests enjoyed lunch ahead of final exhibition viewings.
The Roman Catholic church was opened on May 23, 1911 in the presence of missionaries from Wisbech, King’s Lynn, Ely and Hunstanton. Father Louis Allen was the first Parish Priest of March and served from 1912-1922.
You may also want to watch:
Father Eric Willett arrived in September 1994 and oversaw services in the Parish Hall after a fire caused smoke damage to 70 per cent of the church. He retired in 2010 and was replaced by Philip Sainter who still remains as father today.
- 1 Damning care home report reveals all areas ‘require improvement’
- 2 Man dies following crash on Cambridgeshire road
- 3 ‘It’s a sad thing really’ - vandalism at village church and war memorial
- 4 Two lorry crash blocks part of A14 in Cambridgeshire
- 5 Ex-employee ordered to pay £2k after losing ‘age discrimination’ case
- 6 Second dispersal order in two months to tackle anti-social behaviour
- 7 Mayor ‘wantonly diverted’ £40m of housing cash
- 8 Campsite owner's pledge to conserve water meadow
- 9 Drink driver reported after village crash
- 10 Care home residents enjoy a gift of touch screen technology