By George! What a turn out, what a day, what an amazing 10th celebration of St George’s Day parade and fayre in the Fens
- Credit: Archant
He’s our patron saint and although we don’t get a day’s holiday to celebrate what we do get in Fenland is the ever popular St George’s Day fayre and parade in March.
Though technically a day ahead of the actual anniversary date, there was no doubt the town of March was in a mood to celebrate this gargantuan character of Roman descent but an esteemed historical figure.
Much of the credit, most agreed, was put down to the principles of good organisation – a committee co-ordinated by Fenland Council and promoted as one of their four seasons events for Fen towns worked its magic to create a spectacular occasion.
No one was counting but estimates of over 8,000 visiting didn’t seem very far of the mark and no one was arguing this could have been an under estimate.
“A great family day celebrating St George, “said one happy visitor.
You may also want to watch:
.”The planners did any amazing job and there were loads of stall and things for the kids and everyone to enjoy.”
Jeremy Bulbrook, who took some of our photos for the gallery, said: “Well done to all those that organised this great event.”
- 1 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 2 Man found dead in March
- 3 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 4 Driver leaves girl 'very shaken' after ploughing into car
- 5 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
- 6 Brother pays tribute to 'strongest character I've ever known'
- 7 Every little helps for surprised shopper thanks to Tesco worker
- 8 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 9 Inspirational teen's charity walk raises £500 to support ill children
- 10 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
Another of our photographers, featured in the gallery, was Andrew Cooke.
He said; “People are always moaning about this or that. Well today March has been absolutely brilliant.
“It was a great family day celebrating St George’s Day. Special mention to the Georges pub, the live music was fantastic and great to see a good pub very busy. “The Cock also is great these days for the kids. Fantastic. I feel very proud of the community of March. It was a great day to be part off.”
Musician Adrian Bondy said: “It was great to be part of the day it was and all the bands at Georges were great.”
A police spokesman said: “Many thanks to the Special Constables who came over from Peterborough to support with today’s event.
“It was great to see everyone smiling and having fun throughout the day. Thanks again and enjoy the weather while it lasts.”