St John Ambulance closes its medical loans scheme in Whittlesey
- Credit: Archant
First aid charity St John Ambulance has closed its medical loans scheme in Whittlesey.
Tony Curd, district manager for St John Ambulance, said: “We have been reviewing the services provided to our local communities and part of that review is to ensure that they are delivered as efficiently as possible and to see whether other providers already offer similar schemes.
“Over the years we have built up a number of activities which contribute to the wellbeing of those who use them, such as the Whittlesey medical loans scheme.
“Growing demand for our volunteers to deliver first aid in the community, at local events and provide first aid training – all activities at the heart of our charitable mission – has led us to take some difficult decisions and has meant that we will be focusing our work locally on these areas from 2015.”
Items that were loaned to people, such as wheelchairs and crutches, have been donated to care homes.
Mr Curd added: “The NHS still, of course, offers a medical loans service and I would encourage local people who need this type of assistance to approach that source from now.
“We would like to pass on our thanks to all those who have supported our service over the years.”
- 1 Family pleased with 'huge reaction' thanks to charity Christmas lights
- 2 Leslie 'faster, fitter, happier' after losing 10 stone in four months
- 3 Family escape 'devastating fire' that ripped through home
- 4 Multiple emergency services at scene after B1098 crash
- 5 Man taken to hospital with serious injuries after B1098 crash
- 6 House fire that killed two children will not have further electrical checks
- 7 Isabella, 10, impresses to win top prize ahead of Whittlesey Extravaganza
- 8 'Wide range of people' will benefit from village homes, say developers
- 9 Primary school plans for new town take step forward
- 10 Church gets set for annual Christmas tree festival
For more information about St John Ambulance or about first aid training, visit www.sja.org.ukor call 08700 104950.
To make use of the NHS medical loans scheme, speak to your healthcare professional.