Spare change from Cambs bus ticket sales raises £11,000 for Captain Tom’s charity
- Credit: PA
Spare change left over from bus ticket sales across the region has raised £11,000 for Captain Sir Tom Moore’s charitable foundation.
Stagecoach East introduced an ‘exact fare only’ policy during the ongoing coronavirus pandemic – meaning whatever was left over would go to charity.
The temporary policy – in place across Cambridgeshire, Peterborough and Bedfordshire – ends on September 1 and has raised over £11,000 for The Captain Tom Foundation.
Michelle Hargreaves, managing director for Stagecoach East, has thanked passengers for their leftover change and for ensuring everyone was kept safe.
She said: “We would like to thank our customers for their help in keeping our drivers and their fellow passengers safe during this difficult time.
You may also want to watch:
“Many customers have found it easy and convenient to pay for their journey using contactless or by mobile and we would encourage customers to continue to do so where possible.
“We are very pleased that this money will be going to support such a worthy local cause.”
- 1 Man found dead in March
- 2 Driver leaves girl 'very shaken' after ploughing into car
- 3 Brother pays tribute to 'strongest character I've ever known'
- 4 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 5 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 6 HMO or flats divide councils but what happens to rest of hotel?
- 7 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 8 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
- 9 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 10 County passes funding of new £25m Wisbech school back to the Government
Stagecoach is still asking customers to use contactless, mobile, pre-payment methods or have exact change for their fare wherever where possible.
The Captain Tom Foundation supports hospices, helps those combating loneliness and facing bereavement – for more information, visit: www.captaintom.org