MP Steve Barclay says full review is being conducted after serious assault on officer by two inmates at HMP Whitemoor in March
- Credit: Archant
MP Steve Barclay has said a full review is being conducted following yesterday’s serious assault at HMP Whitemoor.
It comes after counter terrorism police were called to the March prison following an attack on a prison officer by two inmates on January 9.
Five members of staff who went to the rescue of the officer were later taken to hospital.
In a Facebook post, MP Barclay said: "Many constituents will have been concerned at the news of a serious incident at HMP Whitemoor yesterday.
"A full review is being conducted. I spoke last night with the prison officer who was attacked,with the executive director of Her Majesty's Prison and Probation Service (who has overall management responsibility for HMP Whitemoor) and with the prisons minister.
You may also want to watch:
"I will also be visiting the prison soon to discuss any lessons learnt from this incident with staff and the Prison Officers Association representative.
"This will be a worrying time particularly for staff and their families at HMP Whitemoor. Our thoughts are with all people affected by this incident and I remain closely in touch with those involved."
- 1 Man found dead in March
- 2 Driver leaves girl 'very shaken' after ploughing into car
- 3 Brother pays tribute to 'strongest character I've ever known'
- 4 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 5 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 6 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 7 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 8 Janice launches Slimming World group after losing over two stone
- 9 County passes funding of new £25m Wisbech school back to the Government
- 10 'Great improvement' - village pond gets a makeover