Boost for MP Steve Barclay's Read to Succeed campaign
- Credit: MP Steve Barclay
Architects boosted MP Steve Barclay’s campaign to get more children reading in the Fens.
The NE Cambs MP received £200 from Swann Edwards of Guyhirn for this year’s ‘Read to Succeed’ campaign.
Mr Barclay said: “Children often begin to read more independently around the age of eight or nine which is why we target year 4 to receive a new book to take home.
“I love to read, and when teachers raised with me the difficulty of encouraging children to read throughout the summer holidays and how many fail to make progress in their literacy skills during this period, I knew I must do what I could to help inspire a love for reading.
“This year with the disruption to education caused by the pandemic, it’s more important than ever.
You may also want to watch:
“This year’s theme is Wild World Heroes and hopes to encourage children to stand up for the future of our planet.”
Earlier this month, Mr Barclay received £3,000 from Clarion Futures, the charitable foundation of Clarion Housing Group, for Read to Succeed.
- 1 New offering can help 'encourage more participation in angling'
- 2 Businesses across the Fens reopen as lockdown restrictions ease
- 3 Spectators to be 'kept well away' when 85m chimneys come down
- 4 Council to report 'accumulations of tributes' to police
- 5 Lorry driver jailed for causing fatal A505 crash
- 6 ‘The Duke of Edinburgh’s security team wouldn’t let him ride our tandem...’
- 7 March Town mark long-awaited return with victory in double-header
- 8 Council road sweeper vehicle involved in collision with car
- 9 Retrospective bid for travellers' site
- 10 Fenland line-up for Cambridgeshire elections
The campaign, launched in 2016, hopes to ensure every year 4 pupil across the constituency will receive a new book.
To donate, email: email@example.com.