Boost for MP Steve Barclay's Read to Succeed campaign
- Credit: MP Steve Barclay
Architects boosted MP Steve Barclay’s campaign to get more children reading in the Fens.
The NE Cambs MP received £200 from Swann Edwards of Guyhirn for this year’s ‘Read to Succeed’ campaign.
Mr Barclay said: “Children often begin to read more independently around the age of eight or nine which is why we target year 4 to receive a new book to take home.
“I love to read, and when teachers raised with me the difficulty of encouraging children to read throughout the summer holidays and how many fail to make progress in their literacy skills during this period, I knew I must do what I could to help inspire a love for reading.
“This year with the disruption to education caused by the pandemic, it’s more important than ever.
“This year’s theme is Wild World Heroes and hopes to encourage children to stand up for the future of our planet.”
Earlier this month, Mr Barclay received £3,000 from Clarion Futures, the charitable foundation of Clarion Housing Group, for Read to Succeed.
- 1 Boxing club 'absolutely gutted' as mass brawl abandons show
- 2 Live music, over 100 stalls and fair rides as Christmas market returns
- 3 Thief will spend Christmas in prison after breaching court order
- 4 Grandmother paralysed by Covid slowly improving, judge told
- 5 Owner left excited as town's 'heirloom' features on I'm A Celebrity trial
- 6 One arrest and cars seized on busy day for cops
- 7 Horse rider injured in crash on Ramsey Road in Warboys
- 8 Drug dealers operating the ‘Marlo’ and ‘Star’ lines have been jailed
- 9 Staff threatened with sledgehammer in armed robbery at St Neots jewellers
- 10 Rail passengers urged to plan ahead of vital junction rebuild
The campaign, launched in 2016, hopes to ensure every year 4 pupil across the constituency will receive a new book.
To donate, email: email@example.com.