Stop making it difficult for emergency vehicles to get through the streets of Wisbech
- Credit: Archant
Police are warning people to park properly in Wisbech or face a fine in a bid to stop motorists making it difficult for emergency vehicles to get through.
Police have joined forces with fire crew to highlight issues surrounding parking in the town centre and the problems that emergency services can face when trying to negotiate their way through inconsiderate and illegally parked vehicles.
“We have listened to the concerns from the public and local businesses regarding the parking within Wisbech and we have put together the following information for the public regarding traffic flow and parking restrictions,” a police spokesman said.
“Please ensure you are parked legally with full consideration for emergency services, elderly, disabled and all pedestrians.
“Any vehicles parked not in accordance with the rules of the Controlled Parking Zone (CPZ) will be liable to a fixed penalty notice.”
You may also want to watch:
Wisbech town centre is covered by a CPZ which came into force in February 2015 and is in operation 7 days a week.
The order permits access to the town centre via Hill Street and Church Terrace with parking in designated bays only.
- 1 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 2 Burglars led police to £170,000 cannabis factory
- 3 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 4 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 5 Bid to ban ex- mayor running pub “a joke” says cabinet member
- 6 Wisbech to March light rail signalled in ‘levelling up’ bid by Mayor
- 7 Our archives reveal the 'crackpot' idea to re-open disused rail lines
- 8 Jaw-dropping stunts and traditional circus elements combine in unmissable show
- 9 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 10 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
There is a one way system in place from Hill Street onto Union Street and onto High Street and from Church Terrace onto the Market Place and onto High Street with the option of turning left onto Market Street from the Market Place.
There are free designated parking bays along Hill Street, Union Street, Market Place, Market Street and High Street for disabled Blue Badge holders and loading only.
Disabled Blue Badge holders must display their badge, time clock and have a maximum time limit of three hours.
Loading bays are for any class of vehicle loading or unloading goods to premises only.
There are free car parks at St Peters, Somers Road, Chapel Road and the Horsefair plus on-street parking.
There are also a limited number of parking bays on the Market Place accessible from the Church Terrace entrance only.