Straw stack fire at former barracks expected to burn “for a few days yet”
- Credit: Archant
A large straw stack which is believed to have caught fire after being struck by lightning is expected to burn for “a few days yet” according to the firefighters.
Cambridegshire Fire and Rescue Service was called shortly after 7am on Saturday to the former barracks in Waterbeach.
Two crews attended the scene and the decision was made to allow the stack to burn under the supervision of firefighters.
Smoke from the blaze was seen billowing into the sky for miles around, with homeowners from across East Cambridgeshire among dozens who reported the blaze to the fire service.
A spokesman for Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue Service said: “This stack fire that started yesterday morning in Waterbeach is still burning.
You may also want to watch:
“We’ve had quite a few calls to 999 about it as it is a rather large stack, however, don’t worry, our crews are continuing to make regular trips to the site to monitor and inspect it. It’s expected to burn for a few days yet.”
- 1 Lucky Cambridgeshire neighbours win People's Postcode Lottery
- 2 Person cut out of car after two-vehicle crash
- 3 Drug dealer racially abused police officer
- 4 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 5 Piled wall will resolve major King's Dyke crossing obstacle
- 6 Binmen revolt over alleged bullying, poor pay, low morale and staffing crisis
- 7 Photographer, Eleanor, wins highly regarded award
- 8 Three charged after £2m Hotpoint arson attack
- 9 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 10 £330,000 fraudster burning evidence as police raid his home