Street Pride volunteers defy the rain to join the great spring clean in towns and villages across Fenland
- Credit: Archant
Hardy volunteers turned out in the rain and wind to support Keep Britain Tidy’s “Great British Spring Clean” campaign last weekend.
Street Pride members in March, Wisbech, Tydd St Giles, Manea, Chatteris and Doddington all made light of the conditions to carry out litter picks last Friday and Saturday (March 3-4).
Two local businesses also turned out to help. Staff from MPJ Enterprises, who hold the franchise for the McDonalds restaurant in Wisbech, joined the Tydd St Giles group and donated some equipment.
Several Tesco workers lent a hand to the volunteers in Wisbech. Their activities were filmed by local television company That’s Cambridge TV, whose report was screened that evening.
Rebecca Robinett, Fenland District Council’s Street Pride coordinator, said: “It was good to have the opportunity to highlight the work that volunteers in Fenland do week in, week out and in all weathers to help keep our towns and villages clean and tidy.”
You may also want to watch:
There was an encouraging response to an inaugural litter pick in Doddington, held to gauge whether villagers were interested in forming a new Street Pride group there. Ten residents joined in, collecting 10 bags of rubbish.
The bad weather caused the Waterlees Street Pride/In Bloom group to postpone the event they had planned for Friday afternoon, along with pupils from Orchards primary school.
- 1 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 2 Man found dead in March
- 3 Driver leaves girl 'very shaken' after ploughing into car
- 4 Brother pays tribute to 'strongest character I've ever known'
- 5 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 6 Inspirational teen's charity walk raises £500 to support ill children
- 7 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
- 8 Every little helps for surprised shopper thanks to Tesco worker
- 9 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 10 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
Happily, it didn’t stop the children enjoying the Batman biscuits specially cooked for them by the school’s dinner ladies as part of spring clean event’s Superhero theme. And the Waterlees litter pick went ahead on Monday instead.
Torrential rain also led to the postponement of Sunday’s planned event in Newton in the Isle. Organisers were looking to rearrange it.