Students get a warm, Christian welcome in Doddington and Wimblington on their pilgrimage through the Fens
- Credit: Archant
The Student Cross, Kettering leg, arrived at St Peter’s Church, Wimblington, for coffee and cake.
They were welcomed by key stage 1 pupils and teachers from Thomas Eaton Community School.
Then as the students left they were cheered on their way by key stage 2 pupils. Walking with the group was Martin Wells, Deacon of The Church of Our Lady of Good and St Peter, March
The group, 28 in total arrived at Doddington St Mary were they held a short service; they were then taken to the homes of parishioners where they were given a hot drink and the use of shower or baths, to return to the George, Doddington for a hot meal. Then after spending the night in St May’s Church and the Church Rooms they set out to Wimblington.
The Student Cross is an ecumenical Easter pilgrimage that walks every year to Walsingham - an ancient site of pilgrimage in Norfolk. They walk from just outside Kettering in Northamptonshire to Walsingham in Norfolk, via the Fens, carrying a large wooden cross spending each night in a different town or village, passing through Wisbech, Swaffham, and many much smaller places.
You may also want to watch:
Churchwarden Peter James said that the benefice had been receiving the pilgrims for many years and the response from parishioners to help with food and baths was very heartening and thanks them all for the help given both Monday evening and Tuesday morning.
Mr James said: “To many welcoming the pilgrims were for them the start of Holy week.
- 1 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 2 Drug dealer racially abused police officer
- 3 Lucky Cambridgeshire neighbours win People's Postcode Lottery
- 4 Person cut out of car after two-vehicle crash
- 5 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 6 Piled wall will resolve major King's Dyke crossing obstacle
- 7 Tonight's 24 Hours in Police Custody follows brutal Cambridgeshire murder
- 8 Sat nav 'takes one for the team' in bridge crash
- 9 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
- 10 Photographer, Eleanor, wins highly regarded award