Sue cycles into history books
Chatteris councillor Sue Elam cycles her way into the history books on Tuesday after being elected the town s first ever mayor. Photographer Brian Purdy caught up with her just hours before the historic ceremony when Chatteris Town Council agreed that no
Chatteris councillor Sue Elam cycles her way into the history books on Tuesday after being elected the town's first ever mayor.
Photographer Brian Purdy caught up with her just hours before the historic ceremony when Chatteris Town Council agreed that no longer would it be represented by a council chairman.
Instead Cllr Elam becomes mayor, taking over from Councillor Florence Newell, the council's long-serving chairman.
Cllr Newell spearheaded the move to elect a mayor but never wanted the role herself, content to wait until her successor was in post.
Cllr Elam's husband, Brian, will be breaking with one tradition, however, declining to be known as the mayor's consort.
"I'm her husband, and will attend functions as such," he said. "I know quite a few mayors have a friend or family member as consort - but for the duration I shall be happy to attend for what I am, the man who is married to the mayor."
- 1 Man in 50s dies after medical incident in field
- 2 Two escape unhurt after car plunges into river
- 3 Family run tea room closes after 10 years in business
- 4 Café holds 'heavy heart' as it announces closure
- 5 Bungalow fire in town was ‘accidental’
- 6 New dessert shop bids to become 'best in the area'
- 7 Family's tribute to 'son in a million' killed in motorbike crash
- 8 Man in 30s dead, two arrested on suspicion of murder in Norfolk town
- 9 Murder suspects continue to be quizzed as detectives seek CCTV
- 10 ‘She’s always smiling’ - Connie marks 100th birthday
Whittlesey is now the only Fenland town without a mayor- and it has no plans to change its status.