Sue cycles into history books
Chatteris councillor Sue Elam cycles her way into the history books on Tuesday after being elected the town s first ever mayor. Photographer Brian Purdy caught up with her just hours before the historic ceremony when Chatteris Town Council agreed that no
Chatteris councillor Sue Elam cycles her way into the history books on Tuesday after being elected the town's first ever mayor.
Photographer Brian Purdy caught up with her just hours before the historic ceremony when Chatteris Town Council agreed that no longer would it be represented by a council chairman.
Instead Cllr Elam becomes mayor, taking over from Councillor Florence Newell, the council's long-serving chairman.
Cllr Newell spearheaded the move to elect a mayor but never wanted the role herself, content to wait until her successor was in post.
You may also want to watch:
Cllr Elam's husband, Brian, will be breaking with one tradition, however, declining to be known as the mayor's consort.
"I'm her husband, and will attend functions as such," he said. "I know quite a few mayors have a friend or family member as consort - but for the duration I shall be happy to attend for what I am, the man who is married to the mayor."
- 1 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 2 Work to improve A47 between March and Peterborough begins
- 3 Butcher Ron to hang up his hat after 64 years
- 4 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 5 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 6 Paramedics warn of 'tents in car parks' amid mental health crisis
- 7 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 8 Granddaughter launches bid to help others thanks to football legend
- 9 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 10 Board says Covid-19 figures are ‘stable’ at City hospital
Whittlesey is now the only Fenland town without a mayor- and it has no plans to change its status.