Super slimmer Maureen loses 11 stone after nearly losing her life
- Credit: Archant
An inspirational 71-year-old from Whittlesey has lost half of her body weight in just over a year after almost losing her life.
Maureen Bedford, has gone from a dress size 32 to a 14, shedding 11 stone since joining Slimming World, after she suffered a pulmonary embolism in January 2017.
She relied on her wheelchair and walking sticks to get around, as well as dealing with high blood pressure, osteoarthritis, fibromyalgia and sleep Apnea.
“I never could have dreamt that I’d be in this position when I first began my weight loss journey. Losing weight has made such a big difference to me,” Maureen said.
“My health is better, I have more energy, I’m happier and I feel more comfortable in my own skin. I am now even learning to swim and I dream of scuba diving one day.
“My husband Paul joined Slimming World with me as this was his birthday present from me too him and he went on to lose six stone.
“My Family and friends are all amazed by how much I can eat and still lose weight. I still eat many of the same meals that I did before I started losing weight, like roast dinners and curries.
- 1 Glasses smashed and beer poured on pub floor after alcohol refusal
- 2 Missing woman back home
- 3 Roll up, roll up, for the Fenland Council mini ‘sale of the century’
- 4 Zip-shaped mark on Rikki's body came from his anorak – the one used to strangle him, court told
- 5 Motorists face extra time on journeys due to A141 closure
- 6 Car travelled wrong way down A1 before triple fatal crash, say police
- 7 £14.6m school transformation complete after two-year project
- 8 Teenage moped rider seriously injured in crash
- 9 WATCH: Emotional tribute to honour and remember crash victim
- 10 Suspected poachers caught in farmyard raid as cops crackdown continues
“Now I just prepare and cook them differently – and they taste so much better.”
Maureen lost 7.5 lbs in her first week and was blown away that the changes she’d made had such a big impact so quickly.
She added: “I feel like a different woman to the one who walked into Slimming World 18 months ago. I remember feeling like there was no hope when it came to my weight, but I’ve realised that when people believe in you – and you believe in yourself – you can do anything you set your mind to.”
Gemma Lee, who runs the Whittlesey morning group, said: “Maureen is an asset to our group and to see how much this has had an impact on her general wellness and health is humbling.”
The Whittlesey Slimming World group is held every Tuesday at 9.30am and 11.30am at Childers 1a Station Road Whittlesey.
To join or find out more call Gemma on 07955 211027.