Suspicious device found at Wisbech tip - police and bomb disposal experts on site
- Credit: Archant
Wisbech Recycling Centre was closed for several hours this morning after a “suspicious” device was found.
At 9.50am, police were called to Boleness Road after the discovery. They shut the tip amid fears the device could have been a bomb. Early indications are that it is “not harmful”. However, bomb disposal experts are en route to investigate.
A police spokesman said: “We were called at 9.50am to reports of a suspicious device in Boleness Road. “It looks like it is not harmful. It could possibly be a train signal box. The Department of Defence are on their way.”
A spokesman for Cambs County Council, which is responsible for the recycling centre, said: “Amey Cespa, who operate the site on our behalf, contacted us at around 10am today to say staff had found a suspicious object.
“Our procedure is for the site to close and for the police to be informed.
You may also want to watch:
“The bomb disposal experts are on site now and we are awaiting an update. We are hoping to reopen the centre later today.”
- 1 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 2 Work to improve A47 between March and Peterborough begins
- 3 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 4 Butcher Ron to hang up his hat after 64 years
- 5 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 6 Paramedics warn of 'tents in car parks' amid mental health crisis
- 7 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 8 Board says Covid-19 figures are ‘stable’ at City hospital
- 9 Granddaughter launches bid to help others thanks to football legend