Sutton Golf Club gets ready to celebrate 100 years
- Credit: Archant
Sutton Golf Club is celebrating its centenary year with the launch of a commemorative book.
Next year will see 100 years since the golf club launched and a number of events have been planned to celebrate the occasion, beginning with the special book.
The book will be of interest not only to current members but also for players who were members in days gone by, said author Norman Davis.
The book was made possible thanks to a generous award by the Sutton Bridge Power Station Community Fund which helped pay for production costs.
Other events being planned for next year are a flag-raising ceremony on February 18, the month in 1914 when the first golf club- forming meeting took place, a challenging par three competition in April and a commemorative dinner on May 3.
You may also want to watch:
There will also be a centenary cup competition in July.
The ladies section have produced an embroidered mural which will be unveiled at the club’s AGM on November 11 as well as a commemorative garden on the ninth tee reminding members of the origins of the club in the aborted Wet Dock of 1881, work on which will commence shortly.
- 1 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 2 Man found dead in March
- 3 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 4 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
- 5 Driver leaves girl 'very shaken' after ploughing into car
- 6 Brother pays tribute to 'strongest character I've ever known'
- 7 Inspirational teen's charity walk raises £500 to support ill children
- 8 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
- 9 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
It is hoped that current and past members will take an interest in the various plans and events, said Mr Davis.
The book is available at £12.00 from Mr Davis by calling 01945 582447 or from behind the bar at the golf club on 01406 350323.