Sutton St James residents warned to stay in or stay away as village remains under siege
PART of a Fenland village is cordoned off tonight as attempts continue to break what appears to be an armed siege.
A police officer was injured in what was described as a “police incident” in Sutton St James at about 11am today. Part of the village has been sealed off since.
Armed police from Leicestershire have been called in and there have been reports of dogs being mobilised. It is also understood that guns are involved.
Residents have been told tonight to stay in their homes and not go out or gather in public places - and people who aren’t already home are requested not to attempt to go home but instead to go nearby houses or friends/relatives.
People who do not have anywhere suitable to go can make their way to Sutton St James Primary School.
You may also want to watch:
A police spokesman said anyone who has a problem making their way to the school should speak to an officer at one of five containment points.
Dozens of police converged on Chapelgate, Sutton St James, after the incident. Our reporter Andrew Papworth has been at the scene this afternoon.
- 1 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 2 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 3 Work to improve A47 between March and Peterborough begins
- 4 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 5 Butcher Ron to hang up his hat after 64 years
- 6 Granddaughter launches bid to help others thanks to football legend
- 7 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 8 Paramedics warn of 'tents in car parks' amid mental health crisis
- 9 8 of the best shows coming to Cambridgeshire in November
- 10 Man jailed for historic sexual abuse 'convinced child victims it was normal behaviour'
Earlier, a helicopter circled overhead, occasionally stopping “as if it is searching a specific area, before moving on and circling the area again”.
Lincolnshire Police say the incident “is still ongoing and therefore we are unable to release further information for operational reasons. An officer has sustained minor injuries during the incident.”
The village is less than four miles south west of Long Sutton and has a population of about 1,000.