Sutton student brings wartime memories to life in a film project
- Credit: Archant
A 17 year old student from Sutton has produced a video that brings to life the war time memories of people living in Cambridgeshire.
Alex Gordon created, directed and produced the film with some acting help from his friends to help promote a book published by Age UK.
The Hills Road College, Cambridge, student volunteered his time to help as part of a college project.
Beverley Young, partnership manager, said “We are very grateful to the students for showing an interest, giving their time and particularly to Alex for choosing Age UK Cambridgeshire and Peterborough for his college project.
“He made this wonderful and poignant film, drawing upon original text from our book. It is a tribute to all those who shared their memories with us.”
You may also want to watch:
Alex said: “I have enjoyed working on this film immensely. As soon as I saw the book, I was fascinated by all the many and varied stories. “I couldn’t put the book down and read it in one sitting! The memories and photos shared have been so interesting to read and I really wanted to bring some of it to life in video film and create some visual imagery and sounds.
“My friends and I enthusiastically shared ideas for props and costume. I filmed everything against a ‘green wall’ in my bedroom.
- 1 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 2 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 3 Sat nav 'takes one for the team' in bridge crash
- 4 Tonight's 24 Hours in Police Custody follows brutal Cambridgeshire murder
- 5 Squash club marks 40 years of competitions
- 6 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
- 7 Road blocked due to crash involving a tractor on A14 near Godmanchester
- 8 Of all the places in all the city to park an uninsured 4x4
- 9 22 arrests, drugs, cash and weapons seized in county lines crackdown
- 10 Keep your eyes peeled for David’s dinosaur this weekend
“Some of the filming made us feel sad, but I wanted to show the cost of war.”
In 2015 Age UK Cambridgeshire produced and published a book called Memories of the Second World War - Cambridgeshire Residents Reminisce. The book was part of several events to commemorate the 70th Anniversary of the end of World War Two.
Older people living in Cambridgeshire shared their personal memories and photographs and gave their permission to share their stories to help raise funds.
• You can view the film on the Age UK website, Facebook page, or You Tube - search Our WW2 Memories.
• Buy the book for £7.50 plus P&P. Call 0300 666 9860 or WW2@ageukcambridgeshire.org.uk.