Record number of sweetcorn lovers munch their way through cobs to win £100
- Credit: Archant
Nearly 100 sweetcorn lovers munched their way through dozens of cobs for a chance to win £100 at Skylark.
The fifth annual Fenland Sweetcorn Eating Competition took place at the garden centre on Bank Holiday Monday.
The event was well attended considering the hot weather and had a record number of competitors, nearly 100 including adults and children.
The winners were Charlie Greig (adult) from Chatteris who ate six cobs in three minutes in the final and Luca Leo from Castor (child) who munched through three cobs in three minutes.
Charlie received a trophy and £100 cash while Luca was rewarded with a SuperSoaker water pistol and a trophy.
Bart Woodbine, food and events manager, said: "We hope they will return next year to keep their crown and be champions once again."
Skylark is currently in its last few days of its maize maze which runs until September 3.
- 1 Arson causes fire to rip through derelict building
- 2 Discount store expanding making it ‘bigger and better for customers’
- 3 Over 6,000 homes approved across Cambridgeshire this year
- 4 Man and teenager jailed after carrying out ‘horrific’ homophobic attack
- 5 Chatteris Fire brigade respond to nearly 20 calls in two days
- 6 Heather's Hedgehog Hotel in Chatteris officially opens
- 7 Woman on trial over death of Louis Thorold ‘had worsening dementia’
- 8 Mayor's visit inspires Fenmen to cup thrashing
- 9 'Why not have two stations?' - Villagers air their views on £37m rail project
- 10 Family pay tribute to 'hard worker' father killed in A14 crash
Over the school holidays children have met Toy Story characters Buzz and Woody while exploring the labyrinth of pathways.