Record number of sweetcorn lovers munch their way through cobs to win £100
- Credit: Archant
Nearly 100 sweetcorn lovers munched their way through dozens of cobs for a chance to win £100 at Skylark.
The fifth annual Fenland Sweetcorn Eating Competition took place at the garden centre on Bank Holiday Monday.
The event was well attended considering the hot weather and had a record number of competitors, nearly 100 including adults and children.
The winners were Charlie Greig (adult) from Chatteris who ate six cobs in three minutes in the final and Luca Leo from Castor (child) who munched through three cobs in three minutes.
Charlie received a trophy and £100 cash while Luca was rewarded with a SuperSoaker water pistol and a trophy.
Bart Woodbine, food and events manager, said: "We hope they will return next year to keep their crown and be champions once again."
Skylark is currently in its last few days of its maize maze which runs until September 3.
- 1 Inquest concludes 'quiet and happy' teenager took own life
- 2 Fatal crash blocks A1M in Cambridgeshire
- 3 Man taken to hospital after 'welfare' concerns
- 4 Dashcam appeal after three die in three-vehicle A1 crash
- 5 Real living wage given to frontline care home workers
- 6 Teenage motorcyclist dies after BMW crash
- 7 Academy shake-up as one principal goes and another arrives
- 8 Motorists face extra time on journeys due to A141 closure
- 9 Take a look inside this £600,000 converted barn hidden in the Fens
- 10 Prince Charming mannequin seen in car on motorway is mistaken for a body
Over the school holidays children have met Toy Story characters Buzz and Woody while exploring the labyrinth of pathways.