Record number of sweetcorn lovers munch their way through cobs to win £100
- Credit: Archant
Nearly 100 sweetcorn lovers munched their way through dozens of cobs for a chance to win £100 at Skylark.
The fifth annual Fenland Sweetcorn Eating Competition took place at the garden centre on Bank Holiday Monday.
The event was well attended considering the hot weather and had a record number of competitors, nearly 100 including adults and children.
The winners were Charlie Greig (adult) from Chatteris who ate six cobs in three minutes in the final and Luca Leo from Castor (child) who munched through three cobs in three minutes.
Charlie received a trophy and £100 cash while Luca was rewarded with a SuperSoaker water pistol and a trophy.
You may also want to watch:
Bart Woodbine, food and events manager, said: "We hope they will return next year to keep their crown and be champions once again."
Skylark is currently in its last few days of its maize maze which runs until September 3.
- 1 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 2 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 3 Work to improve A47 between March and Peterborough begins
- 4 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 5 Paramedics warn of 'tents in car parks' amid mental health crisis
- 6 Butcher Ron to hang up his hat after 64 years
- 7 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 8 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 9 Granddaughter launches bid to help others thanks to football legend
- 10 8 of the best shows coming to Cambridgeshire in November
Over the school holidays children have met Toy Story characters Buzz and Woody while exploring the labyrinth of pathways.