Record number of sweetcorn lovers munch their way through cobs to win £100
- Credit: Archant
Nearly 100 sweetcorn lovers munched their way through dozens of cobs for a chance to win £100 at Skylark.
The fifth annual Fenland Sweetcorn Eating Competition took place at the garden centre on Bank Holiday Monday.
The event was well attended considering the hot weather and had a record number of competitors, nearly 100 including adults and children.
The winners were Charlie Greig (adult) from Chatteris who ate six cobs in three minutes in the final and Luca Leo from Castor (child) who munched through three cobs in three minutes.
Charlie received a trophy and £100 cash while Luca was rewarded with a SuperSoaker water pistol and a trophy.
You may also want to watch:
Bart Woodbine, food and events manager, said: "We hope they will return next year to keep their crown and be champions once again."
Skylark is currently in its last few days of its maize maze which runs until September 3.
- 1 MP visits hospital about to become centre of Covid-19 vaccine rollout
- 2 Owner's desperate plea - and £500 reward - to find missing dog
- 3 Transgender rapist - with anatomy of a man- jailed for 15 years
- 4 'Big red key' used by cops in dawn raid on suspected drug dealers
- 5 Ditch crash victim seriously injured
- 6 Vaccine roll-out begins, 12 hours a day, seven days a week
- 7 Homes 'siloed on edge of village like old-style council estate'
- 8 Artist impressions of how Mepal will be transformed into a £6.5m crematorium
- 9 'Small number of Covid-19 deaths' at care home
- 10 Council offers reserved parking for elderly heading for Covid jab
Over the school holidays children have met Toy Story characters Buzz and Woody while exploring the labyrinth of pathways.