Sweetcorn lovers battle it out to claim annual cash prize
- Credit: Skylark
Sweetcorn lovers took to Skylark Garden Centre at the weekend to see who would be crowned this year’s winners.
Over 20 people took part in the annual Fenland Sweetcorn Eating Competition at the garden centre in Wimblington on Sunday, September 12.
Visitors from across the Fens stood by to see who would prevail in the adult and children’s events, where competitors had five minutes to eat as many cobs as possible to win a £100 cash prize.
Andy Kulina, of Melbourn near Cambridge, won the adult event after eating four cobs in three minutes, while Lily Szopa triumphed in the children’s final.
Bart Woodbine, of Skylark Garden Centre, said: “Andy, originally from the USA, donated his winnings to research towards Phelan-McDermid Syndrome his daughter has.
You may also want to watch:
“Lily from Wisbech chomped her way through three cobs in three minutes.
“We have over 20 competitors who were cheered on by hundreds of visitors to the maize maze and funyard.”
- 1 Rings End A141 closed after three vehicle collision
- 2 Car blaze was arson say fire chiefs
- 3 Man arrested after suspected drink or drug-fuelled A141 crash
- 4 Pictures show cars - including Tesco delivery vans - queued at fuel pumps
- 5 Crisis, what crisis? Panic buying at the pumps in Fenland
- 6 Zero hygiene rating for East Cambs take-away
- 7 Ledger discovery affords a glimpse of Victorian travel
- 8 Cross party review says 39 councillors for Fenland not enough -three more needed
- 9 Motorcyclist dies in A141 crash
- 10 47-home estate 'beggars belief' says councillor