Talented young guitarist died of drowning an inquest hears
- Credit: Archant
A 20-year-old musician who drowned in the River Nene had been struggling to deal with his parents splitting up, an inquest heard.
Oskar Thomas, of Mill Road, West Walton, near Wisbech, lived with his father Tudor Thomas, who said his son had appeared “agitated” and “very focussed” before he went missing.
In a statement read in King’s Lynn County Court, Mr Thomas said that his son, who suffered from chronic asthma, left the home on Thursday June 19 this year at around 3am - 5am, whilst barefoot in his dressing gown.
He said: “I drove down to the river and saw his dressing gown and saw footprints. I went home and called the police. I think he had trouble dealing with what happened to the family. He has always been so quiet, he was very intelligent. We are all beside ourselves.”
Oskar’s body was discovered by harbour master Clinton Dollington on Tuesday June 24 in the river at the Crab Marsh Area of Wisbech.
You may also want to watch:
A post mortem examination revealed he had cannabis and a low level of alcohol in his body.
In her conclusion, senior coroner Jacqueline Lake said that the police were satisfied there were no suspicious circumstances surrounding Oskar’s death.
- 1 Woman delighted to finally be a mum after infertility heartache
- 2 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 3 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 4 Wisbech to March light rail signalled in radical ‘levelling up’ bid by Mayor
- 5 Burglars led police to £170,000 cannabis factory
- 6 Woman 'cannot afford to lose' over £3,000 through builder
- 7 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 8 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 9 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody
- 10 Tributes to retired CEO who 'worked tirelessly' for town
She said: “His father states his son knew what he was doing. Despite the evidence of Oskar’s father, there is no evidence that he indicated this to anyone, there was no note and he had not seen his GP. He could have been hoping to be found before he died.
“My conclusion is he died from drowning but the intention is unknown.”
Oskar was a huge music fan and played guitar in the band Trampled.